Friday, August 7, 2009

There's No "I" In "Mashed Potatoes"

Thirsty Thursday...

If yesterday was hump day, why did I choose to go out and drink last night? Who knows and who cares, I will most likely end up doing the same tonite with different people. I am not an alcoholic I swear, I just like the taste of beer.

Today a surprise in the form of Frank Morales, my old chef from Zola almost 10 years ago, who paid us a visit in the kitchen and hung around for several hours. Maybe he is going to stick around for a while as Barton prepares for the zillion other ventures he has going on. Morales just recently left Rustico, which was taken over by another former chef of mine from Olives, Steve Maninno. Things could get interesting around here, having so many chefs in one place at the same time. Too many chiefs, not enough Indians would be the saying. To be a bit more PC, I will say too many chefs not enough cooks...

Tonite we did just around 150 covers out of nowhere and I ran out of mash potatoes at 9pm. Well, I noticed we were low beforehand and had another batch working when we ran out. It all would have worked out fine had Barton not been walking down the line in the middle of the rush and noticed they were being made. No, don't give any credit for jumping on the problem and finding a solution so quickly. Instead question why the fuck I was running out in the first place. "There is no I in you fucked up..." Thanks Barton.

I mean I had the potatoes ready, only one table had to wait 15 minutes for their food. Barton catching me in the act was all it took for the night to go to shit. Not even the entire day, not even the entire evening. The last 30 minutes of service sucked because of that one issue. Yeah.

Everyone left with smiles on their faces though, including Chef and Barton. It's Miller time...

No comments: