Monday, April 27, 2009

The New Gig

Finally...

So after working at my new place of employment over the past several weeks I finally got up the nerve to ask about writing...about my new place of employment! Well, I guess I should have asked sooner. Chef/Owner Barton Seaver gave me the go ahead in more than a casual way. It almost made me feel stupid for having waited so long because frankly, I have had trouble writing about all the great things I am experiencing since having started.

Now that I have permission to write about my new adventures, let me tell you what I know about Blue Ridge and its much anticipated opening. First off, I am the Executive Sous Chef at Blue Ridge, a new restaurant in Glover Park that is still a few weeks from opening...and I know that is a running joke right now amongst other DC restaurateurs. People know about this place.

You can Google the name "Barton Seaver" and you'll find plenty. Try typing in "Blue Ridge" with his name next to it. People were writing about this place months ago. Partly because it was expected to be open a while ago, but shit happens, so what are you going to do?

Over the past few weeks, myself and the chef de cuisine have spent countless hours moving in kitchen equipment, painting, cleaning, disposing of old equipment, etc. I am not a painter by any means, but I can tell you it looks damn good compared to what it used to! This kitchen is beginning to shape into more then I would have expected the first time I walked in. I have video of everything but that will wait until well after the opening before I can post it.

Ah, as usual I digress. Blue Ridge will be a neighborhood restaurant like none other. Southern food, much better than what is served two buildings up at Kitchen. We actually did some menu work this afternoon for a few hours, and I will get into that later because this is getting to be a long entry. Let me just say that classic cocktails, and southern-infuenced food that is simple "old-new" and shown lots of love will be what Blue Ridge is all about. Sustainability is what Barton Seaver preaches, all the food we discussed today is sustainable, locally grown and seasonal...fucking awesome.

I have to go read my next cookbook now. I already read Zuni Cafe by Judy Rogers. My next one is by Jeremiah Towers, have a great weekend!

No comments: