Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Gaseous

Tuesday...

Is it really only Tuesday? For no reason, today felt like it went on for 14 hours instead of 10. We attempted to cook today but the gas company came and said they wouldn't turn on the gas because some line didn't have a cap on it.

OK, to the hardware store I go, it's less then a block away. I practically begged the dude to give me 3 minutes to run and get a cap for it before they left. We have been waiting to cook for months, literally. I would be pulling my hair out right now if this had my name on the lease!

Anyways, I digress as usual...I finally convinced him to stick around, so I ran to the hardware store real quick (we have an account there now...awesome). I come back only to hear the guy tell me at he doors that some line wouldn't turn on anyways in part of the kitchen. Fantastic. Then we had to check the fire repellent system, which is apparently something else, as it evidently went off in May of 2008 when this place was still Busara. Not pretty, I hear, so something you want to get in good order. It was.

So since the exhaust hoods worked, we fired up the wood grill and it was glorious. Only issue was we had to use the wood grill to boil water for poaching, as a stove top to saute, and the inside of the grill as an oven to roast food...which was pretty tasty given the mesquite wood we were using. Cross utilization at it's finest...just imagine what we will do with the food.

Today one of the items I made was the roasted lemon dressing. Barton stresses simplicity in the food, putting your ego aside and let the food do the talking. Agreed, however when I made it I made twice as much as needed. By that I mean I used entirely too many lemons than necessary, and flat out was not thinking right when I made it. Won't happen again, it was kinda like working off the rust I guess (I hope, LOL).

It came out fine, but it would have come out better, especially had I known it was missing one key ingredient that was told to me later. Oh well, it will be there tomorrow morning, so no excuses anymore.

No comments: