Saturday, July 4, 2009

Sleepless in Sea...Glover Park

A case of Advil wouldn't fit the bill for how I feel right now.

I was let go at 4pm Friday to have the evening off, but had to run errands for the restaurant before I could head home. I got home at 7pm that evening only to shower and head right back out for dinner with 2 *cough* friends. Great evening, but it ended at 2am when I realized I had to be at work by 9am.

Saturday night was not much different, busy at work and chef got to leave around 4pm, leaving Barton and I to run the kitchen. Smooth evening but a rough outing that ended at 3am with a 9am in-time. I got out around midnight Sunday night, swearing I would head home the entire day until the chef from Sonoma demanded a drink or four. When will I learn? The rest of the week...basically the same.

Onto to work this evening, a short meeting between chef, Barton and I let me know the menu would start changing... tomorrow. Never a dull moment, I swear it. We have already made subtle tweaks to the menu every other day, constantly mixing different items up, changing a red eye gravy for a warm cherry vinaigrette. Arugula salad turns into a mix of devoncrest greens, red leaf lettuce, mint julep and 3 other wild greens that have a shelf life of about 3 days. By Friday, half of the menu will be different including proteins, like fried catfish which will become sea trout.

Our starches will all change and 90% of our produce will be organic by the end of the week. That means there will be little to no room for error when it comes to ordering, because organic or wild produce can have a reduced shelf life, meaning some it will go bad quickly.

Burning brightly...and trying not to burn out!

No comments: