Monday, May 5, 2008

Afternoon Delight

Great day. My newbie cook cut himself at his other job this morning, 2 of my ovens weren't working for lunch, and I was shorted several produce items which as of 3:45pm have not arrived yet. We are still sitting just over 200 reservations for the evening. I tried to call in another cook but he was still asleep when I called. The host is a friend of his, and when she called him he immediately picked up (grrrr). When she asked if he would be willing to work tonight he replied he was "too far away."

Uh, OK dude, I see how this is going to be, thanks. I really can't blame him, in my younger days I wouldn't have picked up the phone on my day off either. If it had been anyone that works with me, they know the only thing I respond to is text messages on days off...gotta be smart if you are going to try and avoid work for a day. So as Chris Rock said, I don't agree with you, but I understand.

So after the speed hump and all the prep for these parties going on tonight, I'm getting dissed by a line cook. Fantastic. Then I have to turn my attention to the ovens that didn't want to work. I am far from a technician when it comes to making things like this work. I will tell you this though, it's not hard for me to take something apart, but putting them back together always ends up with me staring at a few extra parts. But hey, the ovens work now, so screw it. I may have to call a technician in tomorrow to put them back together correctly, but as for tonight, we're good.

Of course, I'll have to work the line tonight while also running expo, and I'm still short on produce, so I'm not out of the woods yet.

No comments: