Monday, May 5, 2008

Test Run

So, 190 on the books tonight with 3 banquets, 33, 22, and 27 people each...so it should be an interesting night as my chef is off. I have some Branzini filets to work with, which is a European Sea Bass that can be fun to work with. Not a clue what I will be coming up with for my special though...my mind has been stuck on chili recently!

My test batch of chili went over well, all things considered. It took me less then 30 minutes to dice up about 2 gallons of different vegetables, sorry no recipes given for this just yet. After an hour of playing with the taste and everything cooking, the flavors started to come together pretty well. By an hour and a half, the 2 assistants that made it over and I were happy with what we had, so it was time to walk it over to a friend's house for some tasting.

I have to thank everyone who did come over and take a little time out of their day to see what I would be concocting for this competition. Everyone seemed impressed, and we all like it better with sour cream put in, so I did learn some things. Seconds and thirds were taken but to me that doesn't really mean much. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love watching people enjoy my food, but these people wont be judging me at the cook-off.

Those judges will be tough, and they're looking for perfection. Now, I hope I remember how we finished spicing that chili...

No comments: