Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Lost Sauce

Sunday...

Day one without Barton in the kitchen. Walked through the patio and into the kitchen to see 3 cooks walking around and setting up. Not to say that the cooks I usually see in the kitchen are worse or better, but today was the first time in several years we had a team of all American cooks in the kitchen. I didn't have to use any Spanish, I was able to lean on my cooks as if they were chefs for some of the prep that chef and I wanted to see completed, and it was awesome.

Brunch for Father's Day we did just over 100 covers and completed more prep in that time then we sometimes get done on slow nights. Food looked great the entire time, and chef even had compliments for everyone about it.

We sat down after lunch to discuss hiring another sous chef in Barton's absence. This is great news because it brings about he possibility of a day off! 3 weeks in and chef and I have taken a day each. Neither of us expects to get another for at least another two weeks. We are both actually alright with that so long as we can make things run smoothly in the kitchen. Sharing around 14 hours a day a piece is no joke, but if that's what it takes to make things go well until we have more help, then so be it.

Around the time brunch was over I was looking for a certain item in the walk-in, and chef said it was there, but neither I nor another cook could find it. He then reiterated the fact that it was one of the smallest walk-ins in the city so I should be able to find it. I told him I would buy him lunch from Z Burger if he found it. The other cook smiled, thinking chef was going to be buying me lunch. 30 seconds later he walks out with enough of the item to last us several days. Awesome, off to Z Burger I go, I guess.

Reminder to self, never make a bet about the inventory to the man who does the ordering everyday!

No comments: