Sunday, March 8, 2009

Can't Do It All

Friday...

Another week almost over, another 80 hours clocked in with 6 days. These gray hairs need to stop popping up all over the place. A lot has been accomplished in a little time since my chef was let go just 2 weeks ago. The day after it happened, it was like a veil being lifted before my eyes to reveal an ugly truth about this place. It has many issues, just like every restaurant does, but way more then I was ready to see so fast. I must say that in my own defense I did suggest many changes in my first month here, most to no avail. Oh well, no time to dwell on the past right?

It dawned on me today just where my chef went wrong with everything. Not so much a place or time, but just in general. See, I have been handed the keys to this place and am also taking over every single responsibility that my chef had. Unfortunately for me, and eventually him, my chef did everything. Everything being that he ordered for the kitchen and the front of the house.

Like, he ordered toilet paper, paper for the printer, ink for the printers, utensils for the tables, wine glasses, food for the kitchen with me as well, get my drift? No one should do that, he did it because he thought it would save him, in the end turns out it was his ultimate downfall. I am not going to say whether it was the smartest move ever, that should be self explanatory.

My point is that today while talking to Bob, I grew the balls to tell him (in a very PC way) that I did not want this to happen to me as well. I let him know that I would eventually need help. I went so far as to say that I did not care whether it came in the form of an executive chef (because my title hasn't changed) or that of another sous as competent as I am.

Two weeks in and my brain is ready to go into information overload by the time I leave each night. It's not so much the ordering part, but I have already made a few changes to the menu as well, and I intend many more. There is a lot of room for improvement in this place, it is still a beautiful restaurant in a ridiculous location.

The food, in my opinion, needs to step up to the level of its ambiance. I only mention the food part because that is what I ultimately, well hopefully, will be put in charge of. Not without the help of someone else though, Rome wasn't built in a day, and I do not intend to accomplish this myself. I wish my friend in culinary school would be done sooner then a few months from now, because this is the perfect opportunity for both of us to do great things.

I've written enough for today, but trust me this is just starting to become interesting...can you tell I'm trying not to jynx myself?!?!?!

No comments: