Sunday, March 22, 2009

Luck of the (maybe) Irish

Tuesday...

Happy St. Patrick's Day, I wore green, randomly, since I'm told I'm part Irish. I guess. It was anything but a random Tuesday evening. We started the day with 3 reservations, that's 3 people expected to come in this evening. I had one cook with me. It seemed odd when it only went to 9 at 4pm. I was working grill and sharing expo with my cook who was working saute. It got slightly hairy, that's saying it nicely, around 7:30 when we were in the middle of doing just over 100 covers.

Tangtent...my special, which I think I have video of, was this fantastic wild Coho salmon
that I put with orzo pasta, chopped up grilled asparagus, and tossed it with a little heavy cream and goat cheese, herbs and garlic. It went over well and I made a roasted pepper coulis (roasted red peppers, sherry vinegar, salt, olive oil, garlic) that I finished the plate with.

Sorry, real proud of that one...but anyway, we also had a tasting for this couple that was thinking about having a wedding at the restaurant. Well, by 6:30 I knew it was about to get busy when we had tickets coming every other minute. Oh yeah, and my cook has an issue reading English. Great cook, but I'm easily doing double time to keep up. He on the other hand is twice as fast as me, little less finesse, but good with his flavors so I'm happy.

It got even worse when at 5 minutes before happy hour was over, I was asked if I would make something and said no. Of course, 3 minutes later I had to make a panini sandwich. The panini machine is in the middle of the kitchen. Lets just say I already had a few tickets and was already having enough fun....

The tasting went over great, I ended up giving them only 4 courses. Ya know, it was because I didn't want to overwhelm them with too much food on the table at once. Sure. Not because I forgot to put the steak on the grill during the rush or anything... It went out several minutes later, with almost perfect timing as if I had a four leaf clover stuck in my pocket.

At least for a minute, anyway.

No comments: