Monday, March 2, 2009

Welcome to the Thunderdome, Bitch!

Monday...

Would it mean a damn thing if I said I was tired? OK, I didn't think so. I have, however, been here just over 13 hours and will be leaving in 3. And I'm getting tired of this shit.

Saturday night was a beast for the restaurant. Bob had my schedule set up to run a cook short, and I was told to order for just under 100 covers. Well, we started with 82 and ended with 186. I ran out of 6 items, and yes that is embarrassing. I ran 45 minute checks from 8:30 until close. I had to call my manager from the kitchen and ask him to stop seating at 9pm. It was fucking ridiculous and upsetting.

I mean, if I had ordered by instinct like always, we may have ran out of 2 items, one of them being the special. If I had scheduled cooks like I usually do we would have run 10-13 minute checks like I expect to no matter how busy it is. I was working the salad station the entire evening, until around 8pm when I found myself working behind the line calling out orders, and running back over to the salad station to keep up with my own printer which was spitting out orders on a constant basis.

I grimmaced as the tickets spewed out like I hit a perfect SkeeBall score at Chucky Cheese...all while I was running around like a fucking mad man to keep the kitchen together. You know what, I don't let things fall apart very often...even in the worst of times I keep things together by a thread. But when shit falls apart it's comical to watch it crash and burn. I was close to going all Office Space on the printer by the end of the night...

I didn't walk out of the kitchen until almost midnight. After the long week I would love to say I went straight home to bed, but that just wouldn't be me. I swung by a friend's birthday party, who had set up a 70's theme for the gathering. Never one to disappoint, I grabbed my gear and a pick for my hair and was ready to go. I got home around 4am and remembered I had an engagement party to cater Sunday at 2pm...d'oh!

OK, so the party went over great, but the bags under my eyes today tell me next time I should actually try and do something most human beings my age do when they are fatigued...sleep.

No comments: