Friday, March 21, 2008

It's Friday, and It's Good

Happy Friday!!!

Yes, thats right people, today was Friday, and I just realized it as I sat down to write. Sometimes in this industry you tend to forget what is happening around you. I'm sure everyone knows that Easter was coming up this Sunday. I found out on Tuesday, sad huh?

It's interesting how I found out though, because for some reason my extended family decided to hop into the cyber generation and actually use email. Now I realize that for many people this is a prime way to communicate, but for my family such things are unheard of. I didn't even think they had email addresses. It would have been more likely to get a message from a homing pigeon than an email from them. Kinda cool I guess, since these days we only wish we had more time to talk. Email seems to be a quick cure to keep up with everyone.

The importance of these emails to me was that everyone is supposed to bring something. I however, will do no such thing. Sound selfish?? I have my reasons, trust me. For one I made a large mistake several years ago.

I was not even finished with culinary school yet and we were at Thanksgiving dinner with my mother's side of the family. Being the 'know it all" that I was, maybe still am, I tasted some of my grandmother's gravy and well.... I just didn't like it. So, I made a few suggestions and proceeded to season and cook the gravy until it was to my liking.

Mad Chef's lesson of the day, don't ever mess with grandma's gravy. It's been almost 10 years and at every family dinner it is brought up. I love my family and, yes, I am bitter that I made the mistake.

But hey, my gravy was pretty damn good...

No comments: