Thursday, March 27, 2008

Social Hour

Yesterday the restaurant had a lunch party that used the Escolar that I had fabricated on Tuesday. My point? It was originally for 50 people, which really isn't a big deal, until it turned to 72 upon arrival. Needless to say I am glad my chef ordered extra fish for no reason other then to use it for the special that evening. So while the rest of the staff revs itself into a small frenzy, the Mad Chef has no choice but to stay as cool as Gazpacho. Even though me and my events coordinator are going to have a little chat later about that...

So on to more entertaining news, this Saturday I will be attending an event with my friends at 1435 Girard. Once every 2 months they gather a photographer and a chef. Usually different each time, although I have hopes of doing another. "Luminescence" is the title of this event and the photos will be provided by Matthew Brookman.

The chef for the event will be a close personal friend of mine (I also had the pleasure of selecting him for the event) by the name of Warren Hutchinson. Warren is currently a Sous Chef at DC Coast. I have high regards and expectations for my former coworker. I have no doubt in my mind that he will do exceptionally well. During the event, small appetizers will be available along with a wine selection. A silent auction is held for the artwork on display and its an overall wonderful event to mingle with the young socialites of DC like myself.

On a small side note to wrap this up, I finally have received my confirmation for the 2008 DC 101 Chili Cook-Off. I will prepare a chili (no I don't have a recipe) and a salsa (nope, none for this either) to go up against 74 other contestants. I have no doubt in my mind that more then half of the other contestants are a part of the ICS or the International Chili Society, and thus, do this for as living. Should be interesting as I attempt to wing it the day before as I do for most of my cooking.

No comments: