Monday, March 24, 2008

Some Chefs are Mad, Some are Naked...

Happy Monday!!

Not so happy huh? Mondays usually do that to people dont they? Well I may not have the cure due to the fact that there are still four more work days for most of you this week.

I myself couldnt be happier to begin the week. It started off by me checking my email and seeing multiple new recipes courtesy of someone whom I cannot name, basically because I don't want to get sued. Want a hint? He is a famous chef, who has multiple cookbooks and his own TV show, he is not American...need more?? Ok,ok,ok, lets give him an alias. How about The N. Chef.... no, no,no, that is too obvious. How about The Naked C.? Ok, that'll work.

I lied before, Monday sucks. My exec chef is gone today so I get to put on a small show for those who grace the restaurant with their presence. I am thinking about a warm sugar snap pea salad with wild mushrooms and some yellow& red tomatoes tossed into the mix. My sauce will be simple today, a balsalmic reduction with a vanilla bean tossed in to add a different flavor. Now that I have officially gone astray from the entire point this morning, I will throw in a recipe that drew my attention as being simple and "sexy" at the same time. Enjoy!!!

The Easiest Sexiest Salad in the World

6 ripe figs
6 slices prosciuitto or Parma ham
A good handful green or purple basil
6 small balls buffalo mozzarella, torn

For the Honey and Lemon Juice Dressing:
1 tablespoon good honey
6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons lemon juice
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Cut a criss-cross in the figs, but not quite to the bottom, and then, using your thumb and forefinger, squeeze the base of the fig to reveal the inside. Place the figs on a large plate and weave around I piece of prosciutto or Palma ham around each fig. Add the ripped up basil and the buffalo mozzarella. Drizzle over the honey, making sure each fig has some in the middle, then drizzle the olive oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper.

Or: Mix all the dressing ingredients together in a bowl and season, to taste, then drizzle everything with the honey and lemon juice dressing.

Yield: 6 servings

No comments: