Monday, October 27, 2008

C.R.E.A.M.

So, the speed hump of the day has just come and gone without a problem. It is creeping on 3pm and I have everything just about set-up for my evening cooks to stroll in, so everything is going well. I even have my special set and ready to go, and that is why I am writing this next post.

Have you ever had a brain fart and just had no clue what it is you were trying to accomplish? Well, I didn't go to that extreme when I was thinking of my special but I came close. I knew that I wanted to make some whipped sweet potatoes, that was the easy part. My sauce, well, that is never easy. I am most critical on myself when it comes to making sauces.

I pride myself in them because of working under so many chefs in the past ten years or so, I should have a plethora of things to fall back on. Come to think of it, I should be able to do that for whatever I am cooking, right? It ain't that easy, homey. I want specific flavors to go with specific foods, it's just the way I am. I have thrown away countless sauces since I started cooking that tasted "fine" to everyone else but like shit to me. It's all relative though, many of them would have passed fine, but for my particular standards for sauces.

Well, with me preaching this autumn thing for the past few weeks and after countless trips into the same 2 walk-ins for about 30 minutes, I finally came across something I thought would work. Maybe it was those special minutes in the morning at my condo when I was in my "office" and reading some Food & Wine that I kept seeing hazelnut recipes.

Bam!
It hit me upside the head that that would be my sauce for the evening. Vanilla-Hazelnut cream, simple as it sounds too. Those were my 3 ingredients, well that and a double of some bourbon that I almost burnt every hair on my face off with.

Yes, sometimes I forget that alcohol is flammable.

No comments: