Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Yo, I Was In Baghdad When You Were Still In Your Dad's Bag...

Tuesday...

The hangover from Sunday definitely kicked in as I must have woken up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. It's OK though, I have kept to myself as much as possible and stayed in the kitchen cutting away at everything possible, save for my own fingers. I must have cut enough vegetables to last the week. Practicing my knife cuts with precision...until I found myself looking in every other direction except for that which I was cutting. Only problem is after about an hour I found my jaw locking and teeth hurting from concentrating too much. Ugh.

OK, so it may not have been that bad. Yet, I did have some words with a female server this morning after she tried to tell me how I should sell my special, and then proceeded to tell me I was not her boss. Um, I can feel the respect just flowing from this server... Unfortunately, her father actually works in the kitchen as well. So I have yet to say a word to him except "hello" since he got here 3 hours ago. Fine by me dude, just do your job and have a nice day. But your daughter is barking up the wrong tree.

It isn't so much that it gets under my skin for the lack of disrespect, what gets to me is when someone who has no idea what they are talking about questions what I have been doing for over 10 years. Short time span for my profession, I understand. But my reply to that is I was cooking when this server was just getting out of grade school. And given that my specials sell out damn near every night, I'm not going to hear that mess from a newbie who works in the front. I have my chef and plenty of people in the biz that I trust and respect to get advice from, thank you very much.

On to more pleasant things in the kitchen. I made a golden beet & ginger soup this morning. I made almost 3 gallons and it wasn't around to use for dinner...woot!

Side note: Why didn't I learn my lesson the first time about trying to cater outside events of 30 or more? I must love to run my head through brick walls before I learn the lesson of bumps and bruises. Can't go into details because it is a surprise for the people I am doing this for, but I really have to learn when to say "no."

Cheers!

No comments: