Monday, November 24, 2008

Back and Forth

Work, don't work, work, don't work. That is how my chef played it this week with the head honcho in town. When the owner visits from his winter home in Florida (it's a fucking yacht that costs just under 4k to fill up) it is in the best interest of my chef to be present in the restaurant. Well, after already working 7 days last week my chef came in for a few hours on Monday just to be around when the head horseman was around. But he would quickly leave the premises when the guy left because there was no need for him to be here other then for the sake of that guy.

Well, since the man was only in town for 4 days my chef decided he would take off Saturday. Not so fast, things aren't the way they should be, or at least they weren't when I left Wednesday night. So he was going to work Saturday to complete a nice 13 days in a row of seeing this place. If you have never done that before you should try it, it's fabulous. Well, when I walk in Friday morning I find out that my chef is going to take Saturday off, fine by me. I was told I could come in around noon. That's a cake day, kinda like my Mondays but it will hopefully be much more busy tonight then it is on a Monday.

I asked my chef to order me parsnips for this evening. I have come to really like this white carrot. It is sweeter then a regular carrot...actually it doesn't really taste anything like a carrot, think candied sweet potatoes. If you have been reading then you know how much I enjoy those! I will most likely do a puree with a blood orange sauce of some type. I am heading to Dean & Deluca's for some of those right now before I get to work. I am thinking some kind of gastrique...

Is anyone watching Top Chef this season? It seems as if they have reverted backwards instead of progressing forward with the talent they put on there. I know it is only the second episode, but there are 2 Europeans on the show and they may just give a handfull of ass to all the Americans on there. Tsk tsk tsk, I knew I should have tried out for that show. I may have actually made it past the first episode...peeling apples?? C'mon guys, if I hadn't have made it in the top 9 then I would have been the first to say "Sorry Tom, I just don't deserve to be here."

No comments: