Friday, November 7, 2008

Did I Tell You the Joke About "Taking Meat in the Back..."?

Friday morning...

At least the week is almost over and it is too bad I am not doing the pilot this weekend. Yes, it still aggravates me but it is reality, so what can I do? As I walk in this morning I see our uniform vendor exchanging chef ,so I do some update work with him on our employees to make sure everyone is getting the proper jackets. I then proceed into the kitchen and am immediately approached by 2 of my cooks about not having the right food for a family meal. OH NO!!!! What are we going to do?!?!? I mean if this is the biggest problem I have today then I have a golden horseshoe stuck up... So I took the cooks to the storeroom and grabbed some pasta...problem solved.

Next on my agenda is to figure out what I am going to do with all of this acorn squash that I see in the walk-in. I also was informed by my favorite produce vendor (those blondes, I swear) that their company will be sending a "specialty items" truck around once a week. This means that I will not only be receiving a list of things I can order that are only available at certain times, but that I will be able to see the items before I purchase them. This is fucking awesome!

One of my other vendors (that my chef and I stopped using almost a year ago) is still trying to get his foot back in the door. To put it simply his prices are too high for the same product we get cheaper elsewhere, but also when we did order from him almost half the time it would get screwed up. Half the order would come in and we would have to call and bitch about it. That just isn't worth our time. Until he goes to the 4 Horseman upstairs and complains that we are not ordering from him. Then he goes so far as to call the vendors we are using "liars" and that they are pricing us one product but delivering another.

Really?
I am sorry that your company can't match another one in price, but do you have to stoop so low as to call them liars? The company I am currently using -Fells Point Quality Meats- is one of the most reputable meat companies in the area, and they are part owners of a ranch in the Midwest i.e. Trump card. The company crying about it is Maryland Quality Meats, I have used their company at 2 other restaurants in the past and not been pleased. I know of both of them very well and Fells gets my vote hands down. I have seen the warehouse, I know the product they are sending me, and my chef agrees. Now the only question is how to get the 4 Horsemen upstairs to butt the hell out and let us take care of what we do best.

Good luck with that, I guess.

No comments: