Thursday, November 13, 2008

Dallas Week and It's Chili

Thursday...

And I am thirsty, dammit. It is almost time for happy hour somewhere in the city. I am off, the weather is shitty, its Dallas week, and I got shit else to do!

Back to the football part, this reminds me I have to place my orders soon because they don't deliver on the weekends. It is Dallas week, half of my team has come out worse after the bye week then when they started it. Weird huh? No matter though.

This tailgate is going to be pretty big. We are sitting around 30 people or so and The Mad Chef of M Street has every intention of bringing out some toys this weekend. I will be making 6 gallons of chili at the stadium along with the burgers that I fold smoked gouda and mirepoix into. Fried chicken wings that I will brine the day before, maybe grill some of them as well. 2 different dips, plenty of chips, beer pong and a keg. The keg is the only part of all of this that concerns me though, though I am in no way worried that it will be too much. The younger generation around my closest friends and I seem to like Bud Light. I know, where is the Commish when you need him, right? If it's a party and there is going to be a keg my group tends to go with Miller, but "drinkability" is always possible when it's fucking water. Rant over...

I learned a valuable lesson in cooking yesterday, self taught mind you. Well my vendor stopped by with that specialty truck and I chose these Okinawa Sweet Potatoes

that my chef had used a month or so ago. I knew what I wanted to do with them right from the start, make mash potatoes with them. Plain and simple, I like to mess with sweet potatoes so much because of the stuff that I put into them. Brown sugar, salt, really good maple syrup, a egg or two if it is twice baked, good stuff.

Well, not only were the potatoes in no need of sugar. Once I was done mashing them, the gluten had become...well glue-like. OK, I am exaggerating, I would not have served them if they had been that bad. But these potatoes were just short of showing signs of becoming that way. I was told they were great and every plate came back clean, but lesson learned, not all foods need to be messed with before serving them.

No comments: