Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Special Has Been Leeked to the Media

Wednesday...

Hump day and off topic here for a second, I can smell my paycheck coming. OK, probably no need for that part, but I gotta be honest. I will never understand how I am making more and more money every year and I am still broke. OK, I do understand but I think it's like beating a dead horse to say why.

Yesterday my special came out completely different then I thought it would. After I stopped typing I went into the walk-in and grabbed some leeks and made a confit of them. Now a confit by most definitions is the action of of taking meat, salting it and then preserving it in its own fat. Too bad that definition is as old as it sounds. Nowadays people confit anything, I mean its not like the culinary world just stopped progressing.

So, I took the leeks and let them sit covered in salt for about 15 minutes, then rinsed them off and cooked them in butter (not too healthy, huh?) for about 30 minutes over a really low heat until they were tender. Steamed off some diced potatoes at the same time. Drained the leeks, saved the butter, and started making a sauce. I took some heavy cream, grain mustard and...well I think you can figure out what that sauce was. I also added some nutmeg and champagne vinegar to the cream sauce because otherwise it just doesn't have any life to it.

When using leeks there is this dark green part that this picture shows. Well, people don't usually eat the drak green part because of how tough it is. Not me, because it's winter and I can use that as an excuse to make some extra heavy foods (i.e. not healthy). Well I cut that part into really thin strips soaked em in buttermilk, sprinkled some flour and deep fried them.

Pair that with some black grouper and, well, there isn't any fish left over this morning so I'm thinking it went over pretty well!

No comments: