Monday, April 14, 2008

Asian Persuasion

Wow, what a Monday. All the equipment was fixed by 2pm. A little of the work going on during the lunch shift obviously, but with a little coaxing (verbal discussion that was loud, very loud) to the person working on the equipment it was done sooner then anyone expected, except myself. I wouldn't have it any other way, as demanding this type of work may come as hard for some, but if I am going to work my butt off the people around me better be doing the same. When I am not working my butt of then its easy...do as I say not as I do :)

So after cutting the beautiful Chilean Sea Bass that come in this morning I was wondering what I was going to put together for my special. I have been on this Asian flavor influence of late. Most likely coming from a friend that is a sous chef out in Vegas at the Wynn...I hope that says enough about what his food is like (thanks Chris). It is the premier spot in Vegas these days, hands down. Good place to have a good friend!

Anyways I digress as usual. I went on to make a spicy sesame vinaigrette. I took some white sesame seeds (1/2 cup) and toasted them off in a hot pan, no oil. Only to lightly brown them, this brings out some good flavor. I then added the sesame seeds to a food processor with about 4 tbsp of sesame oil. I blended this until it became a paste, it looks kinda like tahini.

I then added about .5 cups of soy sauce, .5 cups of rice wine vinegar, some ginger, garlic, salt, 3 tbsp of sugar, 3 tbsp of crushed red pepper, and about 2 cups of some good olive oil. Threw in some stir fry veges and pan seared the bass...oh yeah, I garnished this with some sweet pickled red onions. How'd I pickle the julienne onions?? 3 cups of red wine vinegar and about 2 tbsp of sugar. Stir until the sugar is dissolved, cover the onions for about 3-5 hours and they are ready to go.

Simple goodness (OK, a bit less simple than normal but still)...22 pieces of fish to start, 1 piece left and we close in thirty minutes, I think I found my dinner for the evening!!!

No comments: