Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Raw Deal

What is it like to have to move $3,000 worth of produce from out of one fridge and into another?? In the middle of a dinner rush no less??

Tickets are flying out of the printer and one of my dishwashers notices the walk in is at 47 degrees. I say, "Uh OK...shut the damn door." I check on it 20 minutes later and its at 60. This is panic time for most people, I can honestly say I was only slightly worried. Slightly meaning the bead of sweat did appear on my forehead when two 10 tops came in simultaneously along with the other 30 covers that were already on my line. What a wonderful evening...this is the type of stuff that makes my job fun people.

So, me and my 2 dishwashers ended up moving everything from one walk in to the other...it took just under 30 minutes, and yes, I ran the kitchen smooth as can be with no returns save for one woman who wanted her swordfish medium rare. Yes, swordfish...medium rare. Do people know what they are eating sometimes?? Or do they just figure that every fish is OK to eat like tuna??
It's not! And while I am not here to give a science lesson on the diet of various species of fish, I will only say that swordfish eat ANYTHING in the ocean, same with mahi, OK?? I hope that explains my standpoint on under cooking certain species of fish. I am all for eating some fish in various states of rareness, in fact I would go so far as to say it's the way I would serve it at times, just not sword and mahi!

No comments: