Friday, April 25, 2008

Buttah, Baby...Just (Peanut) Buttah...

(Some more backlog...Wednesday)

So I didn't get to write about what I made last night for my special. I literally made a sauce off the top of my head. I love peanut butter...love it! It's my junk food, I guess you could say. So since I've been on this Asian kick I tried to make a spicy peanut sauce off the top of my head. Never have I made a sauce off the top of my head with such great success, it was kinda funny.

My prep cook just watched me as I pulled out this jar of peanut butter from our walk-in and looked at him and the other cooks and said "this will be my special sauce." After which I searched the kitchen grabbing in no particular order...champagne vinegar, searched some more...soy sauce, sesame oil...paused again...brown sugar, shallots, ginger, crushed red pepper flakes, cumin, coriander, and white pepper. The sauce came out insane, definitely one for a future menu. I put it with some fresh Walu we had flown in from Hawaii (Escolar if you remember my past blogs) and a good stir fry...it was good stuff, people.

Congratulations to The Brain on his newborn son as of Tuesday around 7pm, named Gavin. What a cool ass name! Not because of that douchebag singer from the band Bush, but because it's got that cool British thing going for it that'll help him out with the chicks when he gets a bit older! Thus, posts have been slow, but we're getting back on track...

Tomorrow I am off to NYC for the evening for a cd release party for The Higher Concept. I will be back in DC to open the folowing morning, THAT...should be interesting. Should be a packed venue and a great show, lots of fun and a long damn night.

I finally got an e-mail from my "cook captain" whatever that is...that I will be receiving my official "packet," or whatever it is this Friday. And that they will be having an official "meet & greet" Wednesday, May 6th. Don't they know that The Mad Chef actually does this for a living!!!

It's bad enough I have yet to even think of a recipe or tell my chef I will need that Friday AND Saturday off to prepare for such an event...

No comments: