Tuesday, September 23, 2008

El Borracho

Monday morning...

My chef is off and I closed on Saturday, yet I have already been asked 5 questions that I have no answers for. All dealing with follow-ups from the weekend. It would be great if I knew how to answer them but I have no choice but to defer them until my chef is here tomorrow. Not my problem.

Saturday night I caught a dishwasher intoxicated. Plain and simple, not in my kitchen. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for drinking once the job is done. I will even go so far as to say my cooks can have a beer while they are cleaning. My name isn't on the door so that doesn't happen, but I wouldn't be opposed to it. I never abused it when I had the opportunity in other kitchens, but here that doesn't seem to be the case.

Back to the dishwasher, this guy has tried to walk in here drunk before and my chef just sent him home. It has happened on more the one occasion. I probably wouldn't be so nice the first couple times but again, that's just me. I will take my chef's back on it no matter what, that's my job. Now when I see this guy drunk during the shift I have to wonder how the fuck did he pull it off. I can figure that out later but first was getting him to admit he had been drinking.

He flat out lied to my chef and I when we first asked. He then proceeded to bitch at a line cook about me. The cook tried to explain that he wasn't drunk, just tired because it was busy. I told the cook to not lie to me (I chose a few select words that he would understand) and he went back to work, done trying to defend anyone lest he get into trouble as well.

At around 10 pm the dishwasher went looking for the other manager fluent in Spanish and spoke to him as well. At this time, get this, he said he didn't think it should be a problem for him to drink "a little" when he is working. He felt it made him work harder. What do you say to that?
I was simple with it, thanks for your time, get the fuck out. I have to get into the dishpit and finish your job. You can come get your paycheck on Friday. Lets just hope the follow thru doesn't let that liability back in the door.

The revolving door of employment strikes again...

No comments: