Thursday, December 11, 2008

A Dr. Evil New Year's Eve

Thursday...

A buy out this evening kept me busy the entire time I was here yesterday, and today will be no different. And as soon as I got here this morning, I was bombarded with questions. Um, we are still hours away from opening and I just walked thru the doors. My staff knows me well enough to not do such things, but the opening manager in the kitchen...not so much. Can't be mad though, she is just trying to do her job and it's not her fault I suck in the mornings. And my patience showed through, which is a good thing because I have 12 hours left of this today.

After some thorough reading recently, I am convinced that it is time to introduce some new foods to this restaurant. The challenge I have in front of me is going to be getting my cooks to duplicate the foods I want to bring in. I won't lie, I am not looking forward to it, but boredom with the food I am cooking would be an understatement. We always have new and different varieties of fish, but it's the other stuff, man! Seasons change, and I want to get more fresh, local and different ingredients in here so I am fully equipped to create with the fish, etc.

My chef has left the door open for me to share a special on the New Year's Eve menu. Cue Dr. Evil from Austin Powers, please! I can see squid ink, chantrelle & morel mushrooms in my future plates, maybe even some mustard lentils. Only time will tell, but one thing is for sure, it is time to start working the foods that I have been studying.

Too bad I work in a seafood restaurant, I would love to start using duck again...

No comments: