Tuesday, December 30, 2008

"Will Rap for Food"

Tuesday...

Short day today and all day tomorrow. The restaurant is always slow the day before New Year's, at least every one that I have ever worked in. My special tonite will be whatever I can put together in the walk-in because inventory is going to be done soon and I have to utilize whatever product possible to keep costs in line. With that said, my chef has let me go off the deep end for my special for tomorrow evening. I want to keep it simple because that's what I do best, but I will be throwing some flavors onto the plate that I rarely get to use so I'm pretty excited about it.

I was able to order some Hawaiian fish, my favorite which is Walu or Hawaiian Butter Fish. It is the distant cousin of a fish we have over here on the East Coast called Wahoo. I'm going to crust the fish with caramelized onions and bake it for starters. I will be making a truffle and lobster risotto to go along with it. I just ordered the truffles and opted for the least expensive ones being black (why it gotta be bout color man?) truffles, coming in at a nice 147 bucks a pound. I also ordered some white truffle oil to help them out because the white truffles (there goes that color thing again) themselves are around $2,100 a pound, no exaggeration. Why do you think so many people have never seen, let alone heard of white truffles?

The white truffle oil is much more fragrant then the black, so it will have the appearance of looking really nice on the plate and smelling wonderful once I sprinkle that oil into the mix. Should go over really well...you should come in and try it! We still have a few slots open on the books for tomorrow. It is looking nothing like our reservations last year, which topped us out around 270 if I remember correctly, but it will be a great night, and there is no better place to celebrate New Year's than Georgetown!

If anyone is interested, send me an email or comment below. I'll make sure your experience is a great one!

No comments: