Saturday, December 27, 2008

FI FO FUM

Saturday...

Opening for the first time in a long time here today. It was a little rough getting up this morning but hey, I won't be here come 10 pm!! Tonite promises to be a lively one with a show at the 930 with my friends in The Dance Party, playing one of their final shows on the east coast before heading out to LA for a few months.

I ordered some butternut squash to come in this morning but I also found some cauliflower hiding in the back of the walk-in, so it looks like the squash will have to wait until Monday. FIFO dammit, that's first in first out in culinary speak. I also had to use a fish that is already on the regular menu because I had too much of it.

I ordered too much Halibut the other day and half of it is covered in roasted macadamia nuts and the other half is still an uncut filet. If I don't cut a fish the next day, the shelf life of it becomes that much longer. I usually don't like to let fish go longer then 3 days, that's just a personal preference though. I have seen some places let the fish go for 6 when it is submerged in olive oil for the extended time. Great preservation method, still no good as far as I'm concerned.

So I will be roasting the Halibut in the oven, making up a raspberry & habenero gastrique, and cooking the cauliflower in milk until it is soft and puree it. I think this dish needs some type of mushrooms roasted off to go with it so I will check in the walk-in and pick out some to add to the plate.

Have a great weekend!

No comments: