Saturday, July 5, 2008

Don't Be A Menace to Black Jesus While Being Rained on on the 4th of July

So for starters, I hope everyone enjoyed the wet day that mother earth provided us with yesterday. Personally, I just think that the big guy upstairs doesn't care for Republicans, and since some cities in the US couldn't afford fireworks yesterday, so he made sure it was memorable. Doesn't it seem like it's rained on the 4th for the past few years now? Try 8, wait till Obama takes over and see what the weather is like next year. Jesus was black...lol.

Anyways, onto more important matters in the kitchen. Chef off today, GM off today...playtime for me. 2 specials today, first one with some tempura soft shell crabs over a black bean relish and a vanilla balsamic reduction. The second, one of my favorite fish to play with, Hawaiian Walu aka Butterfish aka Escolar, this fish has more names P. Diddy. I am just going to sear the fish in a cast iron skillet and throw it with with a crispy risotto cake and a spicy carrot jus.

Yes, carrot jus. I'm gonna take some of the yummy Odwalla Carrot Juice and make a sauce out of it. Jalapenos, star anise, garlic, shallots, cinnamon...stick all in a smoking hot pan for about 4 minutes stirring constantly, and be careful not to inhale the new smell you are about to discover! Add the carrot juice, add some basil leaves, cilantro, bring it to a boil and viola. Now that is just a broth, so I will take some fish stock that I have and reduce the crap out of both of them and add some roux. 10 minutes in all, and one tasty sauce.

Now I just have to wait for the speed bump to pass...11 hours left in the day and I got here 3 hours ago. Days like this I wish I was paid hourly...

No comments: