Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Piece of Cake!

So it was a slow night, I know I'm off tomorrow, and I'm happy. Things are going well, cleaning and listening to tunes while cooking, nice and relaxed. Couldn't be a better day-off eve in my opinion.

Then we had a party of 18 for 7 pm that didn't show up until 8...my people, what can I say? Then we had a party of 20 for 8pm, that is only a 6 top at this moment...again, my people, what can I say?

Ever heard of "CP time?" In that, if you said you'd be there at 8 in CP time, it was really more like 9. Cause my people don't move fast, if you get my drift. Then finally, a banquet at 8pm for 37...did I say it was a slow night? Well...

The banquet was easy, at least it started that way. Salads went out fine, entrees followed shortly thereafter. They all had the same entree so it made it even easier...I'm lucky, I know. Desserts are plated in the afternoon depending on what the item is, and sometimes it falls on the kitchen to make but this was not one of those nights. It was a chocolate mousse in a tulip cup. Piece of cake. I mean, the mousse, not cake, er...nevermind.

So the server disappears to go upstairs to the pastry area only to come back downstairs because the fridge is locked. HAHAHA, my chef took the key home because he bought new locks today and wanted to make copies of the keys. Again, HAHAHA, trust me I really do laugh when shit like this happens, what's the point of getting pissed off?? What the fuck good will that do? So I immediately decide "fuck it, lets break the lock," so a server and I break the lock and open the walk-in.

No plated desserts. Zippy.

Fuckin A. So, we're off to the races. Delegation is the key. Dishwashers bring up 37 plates, salad cook gives me the sauce and berries for garnish. I go find the tulip cups and mousse. 3 minutes later, no exaggeration, I'm plating 37 desserts with 3 other people. Sometimes my job really is fun. My AGM came upstairs with a WTF look on his face, and it immediately turned into laughter as he saw me running from one side of the storeroom to the kitchen laughing sadistically to myself.

Everything was under control, and no one in the banquet knew any different. I have already sent a "thank you" text to my chef, who left about an hour ago. Note to self, turn off phone tomorrow. Check.

No comments: