Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Mental Note: Next Time, Just Stay in Bed

So....

Where to start? Ever woke up knowing it was going to be a fucked up day? Then you go in with the attitude that you can handle whatever the guy upstairs throws at you? Yeah, good luck with that.

As I walk in today I see a new prep cook and my regular line cook in the kitchen. No one else. Everything seems OK but they are busy. I jump out front to see where my chef is, check the books for reservations and come back into the kitchen. My chef is off doing inventory somewhere, the new prep cook has no clue what he should be doing, and there is a banquet that my cook did not know about. AWESOME.

After providing some useful direction to my new prep cook, I immediately begin to work with my line cook on plating since it is already a little busy. The banquet has a menu that my cook doesn't know about and 2 different sauces that have yet to be made. First course has just gone out, again...AWESOME. Instead of pointing the finger and cursing someone out for what is about to happen, its time for The Mad Chef to snap into action, I guess. The 2 sauces can be made within minutes, damn lucky too because we only had about 5 until the entrees were to be served.

It sucked. But, thus is life. Eventually, my chef emerges from doing his 7 hours of inventory (don't ask) and proceeds to start making the menu for the evening. Too bad his sous has already made the menu and has a table of 8 different fish (weighing in at around 150 lbs) he is in the middle of fabricating. Fish cut, no time for a cup of coffee yet because now I have to MAKE the special that I wrote up.

So the day seems to be coming under control, and my chef leaves seeing that his sous has everything running smoothly. GM is on vacation, and I'm still finishing up my special. My salad cook gets a phone call...death in the family. Peace out to her, she may even leave the country to go home. Guess who takes her place at the station?

All good, I'm the last one to bitch about such things, but I can't help but think...how right was I when I woke up this morning and knew it was going to be a bad day?

No comments: