Thursday, July 10, 2008

Thirsty Thoughts

Thirsty Thursday for The Mad Chef of M Street, no I'm not going out for a night on the town though. I have every intention of sitting at home, sitting my ass in front of the TV, nice and cozy like. Beer in hand as if I was watching football and not be disturbed.

Only problem is there isn't any football on, and I'm bound to be disturbed. Which is worse people? The fact that I only want to sit on my ass, or that I now think it OK to label this such a day. Sometimes its just nice to sit back and smell the roses. I mean taste the beer. Whatever.

Anyways, delivery via west Africa today. I may have said south Africa before when referring to fish coming in from Senegal, but it's actually west Africa. Black man don't know his Africa, does he? Oh well. I wasn't a geography major, obviously. Blue spotted bass, my fave 1/4 shrimp, and I believe some whole Orange Roughy. This company is great, I only wish they were big enough to bring this stuff to us on a weekly basis. 5 accounts now, that's only 5 restaurants in this whole city that are willing to try this. It is expensive, won't lie about that, but how often do you get to say you had something like this? Each shrimp weighs 4 ounces for fuck's sake!

Oh yes, I almost forgot, I think its about time I try and make this cucumber lima agua for more than my girlfriend and a co-worker. I mean, I am going to let Elliot and the class try it next week. I just heard that one of them doesn't like seafood though. Imagine that, I work at a seafood restaurant and I'm lucky enough to get this in the first place, but dammit now I have to actually make up some stuff. 8 am for the food, huh? Sounds like breakfast time. I wonder if they will try this stuff with the liquor I want to add to the cukes. Gotta admit that would go down as a good memory...so long as none of them spit it out, on air.

Then there is that company picnic. I told them how much it could cost and it raised eyebrows. All good though, this isn't a catering company, and this isn't a backyard grill we intend to put frozen burgers or some potato salad from Whole Foods on either (I prefer Balducci's for the record). This is someone coming with 2 friends that together bring out just under 30 years of cooking in restaurants from here to Chicago, so I can't just dog it. Yet, as humble as I am (LOL), I will work with whatever budget they give me. There's gotta be a happy medium, right???

No comments: