Friday, July 11, 2008

Specialness

So the special has to be run tonight with the shrimp. Had to call some friends to come in and get this tonite because it probably wont last late into the evening. Why you ask? Because my food is just that good. Yeah right, I only have 10 orders. They shorted me on delivery by about 2 cases, which would have put me at 25 orders for the evening. So with that said I will get into what I am doing with this plate, and follow along on this one, it gets a little long.

The shrimp, after cleaning them I kept the head and tail on, sliced em down the middle and stuffed them with some purees, goat cheese, red & yellow pepper, crab meat, and red onion. Those babies are getting fried "tempura" style for the plate. I had to add a filet too because my chef will not put just one shrimp onto a plate. So I made a 7-spice, consisting of star anise, cinnamon, chili powder, salt, white pepper, cumin, coriander and the filet, which is only 6oz and will be pan seared.

My starch, I will use pho noodles, which are usually used to cure the worst hangovers in broths with some type of meat and a lot of spice. I cooked the pho noodles, tossed them in some olive oil and set them aside. I then julienned several vegetables including: red onions, fennel, carrot, bok choy, celery and red peppers. Add some sesame seeds, basil and cilantro and you have a pretty colorful salad ready to go.

My sauce, I had no clue what the hell I was going to do to be honest. So I went upstairs, grabbed some coconut milk and sesame oil, came back downstairs and grabbed some rice wine vinegar and figured those would be my ingredients. I heated up the rice wine vinegar with some crushed red chili flakes, cayenne, and sugar. When the sugar was dissolved I took it off the stove and added it with the sesame oil, coconut milk and some regular olive oil.

Why on earth did I spend so much time on this particular plate? Don't ask because I have no clue, the menu for the special reads as follows:

Tempura stuffed 1/4lb West African Shrimp with a 7-Spice Petite Filet Over a Rice Noodle Salad.

If only I could translate all the shit it took to make that, hahaha.

Happy Friday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see a bit of Japanese/Chinese/Vietnamese flair in your special!

- Q