Monday, June 30, 2008

Bigger and Blacker

Monday afternoon, I'm actually closing tonite as opposed to opening. I didn't even bother going out last night because I ended up spending the day putting that big ass grill together.

It took just over 2 hours to put together...I'm a cook not an engineer. After that, you can't just throw some food on this thing, nuh uh. There's also 4 hours of "seasoning" the grill, where you heat the fuck out of the grill itself with no food. Call it a break-in period for using a grill of this caliber. I even went so far as prior to lighting it, spraying the insides with some canola oil to create better flavors when I use it.

After 2 hours of cooking with no grates, I cooked off some bacon and used the fat on the grill grates. 2 more hours with the grates on there, then after I rubbed them down again with more bacon fat (it's all about flavor), I let the grill cool down with the grates on their til it was done.

Needless to say, that took the entire day. Did you know black people can get sunburn? I have proof!

No comments: