Friday, June 20, 2008

Compressed

Hungover. Got dragged out to a place called The Black Finn in Bethesda. Loud music, scantly dressed females, and lots of popped collars. I didn't last in that environment for an hour. However the shot(s) in between the 3 beers must have done me in. Or was it the bottle of wine before I went out? Either way, to say my mind is not here at work right now would be an understatement.

Capital BBQ Battle...I have been asked by several people (yes, people are reading!) as to whether or not I would be entering it this weekend. Well, to be honest when it came up 2 months ago I wouldn't even consider it. BBQ is an art that I thought I would have no place attempting. Now my attitude is screw it, I should have entered.

Would I have won? Judging by what I saw at a "chili cook-off," I probably would have gotten smoked, literally. All the same, I won't let such an opportunity pass me by next time. I mean, worst thing that can happen is I eat well, drink often and get some business cards out there, right?

Lots of fish to fabricate today, fresh Niragi from Hawaii and some Tasmanian Sweet Crab to play with as well. First things first though, a large coffee, double espresso, a pitcher of water (yes, a pitcher) and maybe I can start thinking about what I am here for.

Also, to leave on a funny note, my friend who is working at Hook is getting the FNG (Fucking New Guy) and rookie treatment all at once. The pastry chef asked him to, get this one, go and grab her some compressed air. He looks at her, smiles and runs off...takes 3 steps, looks back and says OK.

He slowly begins to press his hands together until they are closed, then opens them in front of her as if there was a small animal in his hands. Obviously defeated, she could only ask how old he was as she shook her head and looked pretty disappointed at not being able to put one over on my boy. I mean, really, compressed air? I would be pretty upset if he fell for such a thing. All the same, what kind of imagination does their pastry chef have, can you at least ask for something that SOUNDS like its real? Although I am fairly proud of my friend for being so creative in his reply.

No comments: