Wednesday, June 11, 2008

On Line

Where to begin...how about, thank God I'm off tomorrow?? As I am preparing to leave tonite, no wait...maybe I should start off that I worked a station tonite in place of a cook who called out sick. As far as that goes, shit happens right? It was kind of fun, kind of fucking hot too.

Just under 200 covers out of nowhere for the evening. We started with maybe 90 reservations on the books. So my chef ended up staying until around 9pm tonite to expo while I worked the station with the cooks. Man was there ever a lot of smack talk going on of how Jaime couldn't handle being a cook and wouldn't make it through the night. PLEASE, don't these guys know I used to run the gauntlet like this day in and day out for years, doing more covers and dare I say it...more difficult food?

Although it was a bumpy start, for the first few tables I re-acquainted myself with what it feels like top have hot oil splatter onto your skin every few minutes, even my face. That part felt great! The night went on with no hassle from the line, with me dancing most of the night, literally...we listen to some good music every now and then, so the Mad Chef has to show rare form when such things happen, right? Yes, it's fun to cook and I hope my cooks see that in me when I am with them on the line.

Now the bad part...at the end of the evening after my cooks have left, my AGM approaches me and asks about a missing bottle of wine. Dammit, I knew I couldn't just leave after I cleaned my station like a regular cook. It just so happens as I was passing through the dining room moments before my AGM said that, I had watched a server and a busboy, that used to be one of my dishwashers, in brief conversation over a full bottle of wine.

I didn't hear a word, why would I care? I didn't have any reason to think anything of it at the time. It was a busboy bussing a table and a server pointing in some direction as far as I'm concerned, all in passing on my way back to the kitchen. The wine however was found in someones locker, not the two I saw. This was figured out because the person's locker whom it was in was in my kitchen during the time that everything took place. Thank God for cameras!! Someone is getting busted tonite...

No comments: