Monday, June 16, 2008

Go Mad Chef, It's Your Birthday, It's Your...Work Day? Dammit.

It's my birthday and I'm at work. Yay. Happy almost 30 to me. Birthdays just don't have that positive mojo anymore, at least since 21. I mean, yeah, it was nice to turn 25 a few years back and have my car insurance rate drop and all, but a post-21 birthday is hardly the life changing event and celebration time that it used to be. Now, it's just another day.

However, last night my significant other took me to a restaurant I was really excited to try out. It's called the Blue Duck Tavern.

It's an absolutely gorgeous restaurant. Spacious in every way, from the time you even approach the entrance with its 15 foot doors and an even higher ceiling to the dining area. Steps everywhere, giving the appearance that each and every table has it own amount of privacy to it. The patio gives off the appearance that you are anywhere but downtown DC.

A cascading fountain in the corner and plants lining the entire patio add comfort and privacy for the outside diners. Enough about the way the place looked, I was impressed for the most part all around, except when I looked at the wine menu. I'm never one for bringing my own bottle but I think this would be the place that I would suggest it. Judging by the prices they were, well, up there as far as I'm concerned. I don't want to call out another restaurant on how they price their menu, it's the ambiance and dining experience you are paying for. Let's just say that we have a few of the same wines, for waaaaaayyyy less.

I started out with the foie gras creme brulee. Yeah, I'm cultured enough to appreciate such a thing, lol. It reminded me of a foie torchon, which is where the duck liver has been cured one night and macerated in milk and brandy the next. "Rich" in flavor would be an understatement. Too much for some would be a better description, as my girl had to return hers thinking that it was "god awful." I could only laugh, indeed it's not a flavor for everyone, but I can appreciate what it took to make such a dish, and the creativity behind it. I didn't finish all of mine either though!

For our entrees we shared the crab cakes and a ribeye. We ordered several sides including cheese grits, hand cut fries, and globe artichokes with prosciutto. All of which were outdone by the Anson Mills grits. Best type of grits you can possibly use if you ask me, and cooked to perfection with a hint of goat cheese. Yes, funny haha, black man is a freakin grits expert...

Our dessert consisted of an apple pie for two and a side of vanilla ice cream. The pie itself was absolutely delicious, but the cool thing was the ice cream was served in a glass cylinder of sorts with a large wooden spoon. It spoke of old family style meals where the kids fight for the last bit of ice cream, and believe me we had a discussion as to who would get that last bit...thank God it was MY birthday and not hers.

No comments: